Thursday, October 10, 2013

School Days Jacket

Almost year ago I made this Oliver + S School Days Jacket as a test run.
It was easy to make and the instructions were excellent, as always. However trying it on for fit and size is always my biggest obstacle.

During a fleeting moment shortly after I made it, Miss C did indeed try it on but the photos weren't very good so I didn't bother posting it. I hung it up in their closet and figured on waiting until the fall to try it on again.


Yesterday, I spent the morning with Mr. A ad Miss C, and guess what  .. the Jacket almost fits Mr. A!


The sleeves are a little long and there's lots of room inside so my guess is by mid to late winter, size 3T will fit him perfectly.
I saw some black melton-like cloth in a Fabric store that was on sale, so I'll get it on my next trip to the city.


The only problem I'm encountering is with the toggles. They keep coming undone. I need to figure out a way to keep them from easily coming apart.


For a test run using $5.00 worth of coating fabric, it's turned out just fine and I am pleased with the results.


I've been busy making many other 'test run' items: Pintuck Sweater and Cowl Neck dress from Heidi and Finn and a O+S Hula Hoop skirt. Since I can't get a good photo of them just yet, they'll just have to wait.

Meanwhile, although Mr. A is sweet looking little fellow he is literally "in" to everything.  As the saying goes: "cute is not enough"!


9 comments:

  1. Hahaha! That last photo is hilarious. Great coat, and 5$?! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Brittney says!

    I can't believe how big he is - no wonder though - I'd grow fast too if I lived in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow....is he ever into everything?!?!?! Glad you captured the last moment in time!! We've got the hula hoop skirt {our first one to do} cut out and ready to go - fabric and all, but it may be pushed aside for some other pressing sewing items. I hope not....I'm pretty excited about making it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. A is so cute! Even if he is up to mischief all the time.;)

    I love the School Days in a plaid. It's a great looking coat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny. Love the coat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on the coat. I've got the pattern but I looked at all the 16 pieces and didn't get any motivation to sew it up. I've seen some pretty good ones around though so hopefully I'll get around to it for next winter. Hope you're doing well with the other patterns too. Yes, they're like little critters and get into everything. It can be frustrating but oh so cute at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The coat looks fab, Deb - and all the better for costing only $5!
    Love the last pic - I've always said, the cuter the kid, the more cheeky they are ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a bargain find! It looks good in plaid. He is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my! He appears to be very self-reliant! And I love the coat!

    ReplyDelete